I trimmed down and this article from The Street:
To summarize the article it is about the new Mac Jr and Grand Mac, in the article it says, "McDonald's started testing the Grand Mac and Mac Jr. in more than 120 restaurants in the central Ohio and Dallas areas in April last year." This is the basis of what I wanted the students to pick up out of the article, but thought this might be a good chance to get them inferring reading in the math classroom.
Students read the article, I gave them 5 minutes to read and answer the following 5 questions:
- What is the main point of the article?
- What are two supporting details?
- What type of sampling method was mentioned in the article?
- Why do you think McDonald's chose that type of sampling method?
- Do you think the authors view of McDonalds were positive or negative? Why?
I was surprised about the level of detail that students put into the article here were some sticky notes and students working on the article.
Next year I will try to put the article on ActivelyLearn, last year it was my go to place for articles and mathematics for Junior Standards Math. I will have to use more articles in math class, it was a good experience for me and my students.