Debates in Math

I have been looking over my Algebra 2 curriculum to find places where I could include debates in the math classroom.  I was trying to find ways of including more formal debates where students take in all of the information.  My goal is to give students a day to find all of the information, that night have them make a poster, meme, or infographic to demonstrate that learning.  The next day students will present their arguments to the class in a fishbowl activity.


  1. The first would be about Functions, Equations, and Graphs.  Students would be split into groups of 2 and one would be graphs the other would be equations.  Students would have debate on which is a better demonstration of functions equations or graphs.
    • Students would then have to produce a poster or meme.
    • Then the next day students would argue about which is better.  A list of questions that I will pose to students to get them talking will be added later.
  2. The second debate would be about Quadratic Functions and Equations. Same concept on groups of two but it would it include the best way to solve quadratics.
    • This time students will be placed into groups:
      • Completing the Square
      • Quadratic Formula
      • Graphing
  3. The last one I will incorporate is probability.  I'm going to go a little off script and give them an article to read and then talk about analyzing data.  Is the article true or not students will have to determine if the samples and survey are sound. 
I will add more as I become more proficient in dealing with debates and keep you posted as we have them in class.


No comments:

Post a Comment