Gas Station Problem and Unit Rates

I was at Hy-Vee the other day filling up using our fuel save points when an interesting question popped into my head.  I was thinking if you were a gas station attendant how could you know if a person was using a fuel saver and which pump had the highest fuel saver discount based on the number of gallons and fuel price.

I made this activity to engage student thinking about Unit Rates and instead of fuel saver points they have to find which pumps are losing them money.

So I creepily took down the notes of every pump at the local Hy-Vee gas station, luckily enough I did the math on them all and had some surprising results.

The assignment is here: https://goo.gl/BYaiSn

It focuses on higher thinking about unit rates than we might typically cover.


After students complete this part of the task they have follow up questions:
  1. Which pumps need to be fixed?
  2. How much money was lost if we make $.10 on each gallon sold? Show your work.
  3. How much money did we make?
  4. How did you find your answers? (Write one paragraph)


No comments:

Post a Comment